Friday, March 13, 2009

Answers to the Jodi Challenge

Sorry...some things never change. Still a clown.
Favorite 8 TV shows
1 through 8 We don’t have any!!! We are on a mission in Russia.

8 things I did Yesterday
1. Read scriptures
2. Tried to carry on a conversation with a lady in the grocery store in Russian
3. Placed two referral cards with lady in grocery store because I couldn’t speak Russian very well.
4. Was so proud of myself that I could read where a bus was going. Hopped on and watched it go straight when I it should have turned left to go to the train station. Yes, wrong bus again. Will keep trying.
5. Found myself wishing I was in the US to be able to help a 17 year old young man recover from a spinal injury he suffered pushing his grampa out of the way of a bus. He took the hit and his grampa is fine. He is confined to his home and gets around on his hands. What a young man!
6. Found myself in the back of a taxi returning from a teaching appointment. It was out in a remote country location, in the dark, on a road that was snow, ice and mud all together, with a taxi driver that only spoke Russian, with some gypsy music playing, and we don’t even pronounce our own address correctly…….that is faith.
7. Actually made it home in the taxi and is well.
8. Went into a dark stairwell that smelled pretty bad and walked up 4 dark flights of stairs opened two steel doors and locked them behind us and realized we were HOME. And it was a fantastic day. Wish you were here….really. There is so much to see and some of the nicest people on earth.

8 things I am looking forward to
1. Yes warmer weather
2. No ice on the sidewalks
3. Being able to communicate better in Russian (I seem to notice a Russian theme in my writing)
4. More people joining our little branch of 70 people.
5. Moving to Vladivostok, but I really don’t want to because we love it here.
6. Being able to call someone on the local phone. Yeah, I don’t speak Russian well enough…yet.
7. Taking a bus and actually having it arrive where I think it should
8. Being able to run up 4 flights of stairs with my arms full of groceries (after walking a mile from the store) and not being out of breath.
9. Number 9 is a bonus. Being able to type in Russian better.

8 favorite Restaurants
1. Your kidding right!!! 8 favorite restaurants….we are missionaries.
2. Well there is Country Pizza. It even has two Harley Davidson posters on the wall and an old street sign that reads “Milwaukee St.”.
3. Well then there is the new place we found down by the Renick (market). It is a McDonald’s take-off. But in Russia the burger has been replaced by the chicken, mayo, cheese, bacon burger. Yes Timmy bacon baby…even here in Russian. I let out a little Tim Allen AHUH….
4. Really that is it.

8 Things on my wish list.
1. I wish I could speak better Russian
2. I wish I could understand a native Russian speaker
3. I wish I knew what our landlord looks like because I don’t want to give our rent to just anyone who comes to our door.
4. I wish our internet connection would stop dropping offline.
5. I really wish you could all be here. It is a wonderful place.
6. I wish more people would at least listen to a message that brings such hope and joy into ones heart and life.
7. I wish Mingo’s eyesight would get better.
8. I wish my mom would listen to a message that would bring such peace at this time in her life.
9. Bonus again, I wish I could express how much you all mean to me and to mom. We love you…and absence does make the heart grow fonder.

4 comments:

iammommahearmeroar said...

Awwww! You did the tag, too! That was fun to read. I wish you had a better restaurant to hit! Hang in there with the Russian. It will get better and I know you can conquer it. I am so proud of you both!

Taylor Swim said...

Now I know you are going to LOVE the packages we sent. There is food inside. (You'll totally be able to read the writing too-- bonus!) I love hearing about your adventures even if they are a little sketchy! We love you two squirrels (now in a multi-padlocked box.)

Cassie said...

We wish we were with you on this adventure too. We miss you like crazy but are so proud of you and the amazing examples you are to us and especially our kids. Love you!

WayneandLaurie said...

Really enjoyed your Blog. Thanks for sharing your adventures in missionary work. :) Our blog is wayneandlaurieg.blogspot.com if you would like an invite Please send me your email address. my email is grauhaus_1@charter.net I will also get an invite to Natalie's blog as well.
Keep up the great work! Love Laurie and Wayne Grau