Saturday, June 27, 2009

Side trip to Magadan

This is the mask of sorrows. It sits high on a hill overlooking the city. It seems that millions of people were killed by Stallin and this is a memorial. Magadan is known for a place of imprisonment. Up the stairs that Allie and I are on is a door that opens into a replica of a jail cell. On the back side of this monument is a depiction of the Savior with a child crying beneath him. It is a very moving place. Very hard, coarse, and stark. It makes one ponder how fortunate we are to not have lived during such a time of oppression.
Some day I will figure out how to download in order. This is our departure for Magadan from the Vladivostok airport.

Here we are arriving in Magadan with Elder DeLaMare one of the assistants to the President. Notice the "bus" back to the terminal is a horse trailer with windows pulled by an old truck. Yup, it is pretty rustic....but quaint.



Here we are arriving in Magadan on June 24th. Yes that is still snow on the hills.


Just a picture of the sky enroute. It was beautiful to travel there. The flight is 3 1/2 hours due north from Vladivostok. It was in the 50's when we got there. In the winter it is -50 C. Yes that will freeze just about anything or anybody.




2 comments:

Jodi said...

You two look gorgeous! Mom, I am loving the curly hair. I hope you keep growing it out so I can see you with long hair when you get back. =)

Unknown said...

Thank you for doing a tour for us. I will probably never get to Russia so I like seeing everything. I love Allies hair. It is so cute on her. Jody was right. Glad to see you back on the site.