Saturday, July 18, 2009

I am back to blogging

This is a picture of our old apartment in Vladivostok. You may notice the attention to detail when they install the trim. If you double click on this photo you will see the glue hanging down and the not so good joints. Also the ceiling tile are styrofoam. You know like coffee cup styrofoam. They just glue it to the painted ceiling and ta da it is done. The only problem is quite a few of the tiles are just hanging down and others have already fallen off. It never happened to us but if they drop in the night over your bed it would tend to freak you out.
This is Tatiana the mission accountant on the left. Vera the mission secretary in the middle and the birthday girl with her buddies. The dozen roses are always a nice touch. Too bad I didn't get them for her. Her buddies did. We did go to a great "Indian" restaurant to celebrate the big day. I had an authentic "banana split" for dessert. I did not know that the banana split originated in India!!

This is the entrance to the space the church rents for a meetinghouse in Artyom Russia. Allie used the flash otherwise this place never sees the light of day. It is really dark. Do you think this suit makes me look fat or is it just my face? I have really embraced the "Man purse" while in Russia. It is so convenient to carry everything you really don't need just in case you might. Seriously even the big burly construction guys carry a purse. Now I am just like Allie, I know what is in there....I just don't know where it is.


This is the authentic missionary produced "English Club" sign for the Artyom branch. Twice each week the missionaries hold an English Club where they speak English to those who are trying to learn the language. It is a great time to meet people and really get to know them. Those that attend are mostly not members of our Church. However, super nice people and very intelligent. Allie and I used to teach the advanced English Club in Ussurisk and it was a blast. We aren't advanced with our Russian therefore the missionaries gave us the advanced English Club because the participants could understand us and we them. We can not call it a "class" because we are not trained and certificated teachers in Russia. So it is a "Club" and a lot of fun.



2 comments:

Taylor Swim said...

Yeeehooo! You updated! I'm so excited to see you two. Dad you seriously look like you've lost some weight. That man purse is totally you. You know, Jack Bauer has a man purse-- so it's very manly. I'm glad to see that Mom had a great birthday. Thanks for the update.

Cassie said...

I am SO glad to have your blog going again! I have missed seeing just where and what you 2 are up to! That finish work is a little sketchy! Love you!