Thursday, February 26, 2009

We are in Ussurisk!!!!!

We have been here for two weeks now and found that things move a bit slower than you might want them too. The people are so kind in the branch. We have been able to visit lots of homes and we have been humbled at their kindness. Yesterday we were fed at a ladies home that was about 10x20 with the bathroom outside. That sweetie fed 7 people all that she had on a 2x3 foot end table. She didn't want any help and was happy to take care of us. She didn't eat herself and we wondered if it was because she gave it all to us. The lessons about being grateful for what we have seem to be repeated daily to us. It is an honor to be in the presence of so many of these good people. The apartment that at first we were questioning now looks like the best one for miles. The young missionaries that we work with have given up all they have to be here and some came from another part of this country are not even sure what they will return to when they are done serving. The church has an awesome perpetual education program where the youth can go to school and pay back when they are doing well but it is not allowed in this country.
Here is Alice in her "little" kitchen. Go Alice Go!!!!

so this frig is shorter than Breck's shoulder but the biggest one I've seen so far!This Dude came with the room! What a deal!
Did I mention 4th floor and no elevators?


This is our kitchen table and study area. This is from whence we shall Skype!

Did I mention Breck's knuckles now drag on the ground. We are approximately one mile from the grocery store and he has been carrying groceries home every day. He has knick named himself "pack mule". With what we can read on the labels we are up to 3 unusual meals that we repeat each day. We will either come home huge or rather slender its a role of the dice!!!

7 comments:

Taylor Swim said...

I love the pictures! I was so excited to finally hear that you are doing so well. I keep telling Yaya and Mingo that no news is good news. I'll take some copies of your stuff to share with them. You guys look like you are going to rock that country. Keep us posted on Dad's grocery adventures. You guys crack me up!

Cassie said...

Thank you for the pictures! Its great to finally hear from you and know you are doing well. I'm with Lec, keep us posted on Dad's grocery walks because I guess in a little while he will have some kind of cart jimmy rigged to carry them home in! Miss and love you!

iammommahearmeroar said...

Yeah! So good to get a report! In Portugal the ladies have these wheelie carts to bring their groceries home. Maybe you should look into getting one of those while Dad still has knuckles :) I love you guys!

Unknown said...

I am SOOOO glad to see these pictures and that you are safe. I think of you daily. I was in the hospital for a few days in Milwaukee and thought about you and your health. Hope you are both well and pray for your safety daily. Love you, Ole

Margene said...

Your pictures remind me of Chile, and our little apartment on the 6th floor. My arms would ache after carring our groceries home from the store. I bought powder milk it was lighter. the PEF is so great for the youth in these 3rd world countries. Maybe some day Russia will let the youth use it too.

Unknown said...

I was glad to see pictures and know all is well. I am humbled just looking at the pictures of your humble home. I so admire you for what you are doing for the Lord. I like the hat. Keep up your great spirit and stay healthy. Love to you both

Jodi said...

Your place lloks like the Russia I remember. Awesome!!! I can't wait to Skype with you!