Sunday, December 6, 2009

Let it Snow

My little snow bunny. Doesn't she look warm? Yesterday morning there was no snow on the ground here. It was bare pavement. We watched it snow all Saturday and woke up to this on Sunday morning. Alice made me pull her all the way to church on a sled. Not really but don't give her any big ideas!!
This is a shot from our kitchen window. That stuff is over 2 feet deep out there. We had thunder-snow. That is when it exhibits lightening and thunder while it snows. It came down all day and the lightening was especially cool at night. It lit up the whole area as far as you could see and because it was white it looked and felt light a huge camera flash. You can't see it very well in this picture but I wanted to explain an interesting phenomenon. It seems that the first one out has the right to shovel all of his snow in front of your car. The clean spot was made by doing just that to the cars on either side. Double click for confirmation of this event.


This is out our bedroom window and you can see the drifting that occurred too. The thing you can't see are the big ruts in the road. Some snow gets packed down and some areas don't leaving the most uneven road surface you have ever seen. Alice and I could only walk in the ruts on the way to church and sometimes when I went up and she went down the top of her head only came up the middle of my chest. The cars that can get around have really good ground clearance. Just having 4-wheel drive doesn't do it.



Downtown at the church it had been cleaned up a little. They actually had a front-end loader working away at the snow in this bus stop area. If you look at the left side of the picture you can see that baby working away. Yes, to all who know me, I wanted to climb aboard and take over.




2 comments:

iammommahearmeroar said...

Whoah! That is a TON of snow. I didn't know it could snow, thunder, and lightning at the same time. That's kind of cool. (I can just hear mom saying, "signs of the time...the weather will change!")

Taylor Swim said...

That clearing is a little Russian miracle. How long did you stay and drool over the front loader Dad? I love thunder snow. It doesn't happen often but when it does-- awesome!